What is Python count?
The Python count method returns the number of times a specified value appears in a string or a list.
Using Python count with Strings
We are going to use the count method to determine how many times the letter ‘a’ appears in a string. In this case, we are going to call the string ‘myString’ which will be equal to ‘the cat sat on the mat’.
We are also going to store the output which is an integer in the variable called ‘t’. The variable ‘t’ will be equal to the name of the string that we intend to perform an operation on and then using the dot operator we append the count method i.e t = myString.count().
Inside the parentheses we can pass three arguments, however in this case the only argument is the letter ‘a’. If we print the variable t, we should get the number of times the letter appears in the string.
We can also use indexing to determine the actual zone that we are looking for within the string, depending on where we want to search it.
Since Python is a zero-based language the letter ‘t’ in the string ‘the cat sat on the mat’ is going to be represented by index zero. For instance, we can search how many times the letter ‘a’ appears between index 4 and index 10.
We can also change and search up to index 15 instead of index 10, and the number of times that ‘a’ appears within that index range still remains to be two.
However, if we change the index up to 10 from 4 we get a zero. This implies that the letter ‘a’ does not appear within that index range.
Using Python count with lists
The count method can also be used with lists to return the number of times an element appears in that list. In this section we will create a list with an assortment of random numbers called myList = [1,3,5,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,6,7,5].
Now with lists, we cannot use indexing when performing the count of elements that exist within that list, we can only determine the number of times an item appears in a list.
For instance, if we try to count the number of times the number 14 appears in the above list we will definitely get a zero.
So let’s also see how many times the number three appears in this list.
We can also try the number 4 instead, and in this case, it only appears once in the list.
If you’d like to see more programming tutorials, check out our Youtube channel, where we have plenty of Python video tutorials in English.
In our Programming Tutorials series, you’ll find useful materials which will help you improve your programming skills and speed up the learning process.
- How to create perfect HTML tables?
- HTML color codes
- CSS background images
- Best Programming Books You Must Read in 2021
- Python for loop
- Creating a table using HTML and CSS
- Best way of using Java Arrays and ArrayLists
- Best way of using Python Sets
- Best ways of using a Python Dictionary
- Best way of using Python Classes
- Best way of using Python Range
- Best way of using Python if-else
- Best way of using Python RegEx
- Best way of using Python Lists
- Best way of using Python Enumerate
- Best way of using Python Functions
- Best way of using Python Split
- Best way of using Python Try-Except
- Best way of using Python Tuple
- Best way of using Python Arrays
- Best way of using Python Sort
- Best way of using Python DateTime
- How to download Python?
- Best way of using Python FileWrite
- Best way of using Python Lambda
- Best way of using Python ListAppend
- Best way of using Python ListComprehension
- Best way of using Python Map
- Best way of using Python Operators
- Best way of using Python Pandas
- Best way of using Python Requests
- Best way of using Python Strings
- Best way of using Python Count
Would you like to learn how to code, online? Come and try our first 25 lessons for free at the CodeBerry Programming School.